Brandiuk
This story is dated May 2nd, 2007. The cat in question was Leif's cat, James. James was so notorious about slipping out of the house to follow me. In another story I will highlight how he acquired his leash. In the meantime - here is this little piece of history. 

Well, I went to go to the doctor, which is a little story in itself
because I had an appointment and when I called  to check the time
they'd lost my appointment (the whole reason I call is because this happens with some regularity).  So Brian told them to make a new one which they did - of course Brian calls so he can speak to them in their native language. They did set a new appointment, at a time when I couldn't go.  Then, I found my original appointment slip and was going to call and fight with them, because I had the slip to back me up but then they'd found the appointment by then and called to confirm it.  So I went and they asked if I was coming twice today for a reason because I had two appointments.  Idiots.

I have to walk there, it's about a mile.  I obviously, don't have
the car on the day, Brian does.  I got the boys ready.  James follows me, like a puppy when he gets out.  I had him in but then someone stopped by before I left and he must have slipped out with them.  The cat really is an escape artist, I rarely if ever see him leave when he does slip out.
Halfway to the surgery I passed a baby who started shouting KITTEN!
I thought it was any kitten so I kept walking.  A couple blocks from
the surgery I hear this mewling and I turned around and there is
James.
Absolute little monkey.   I tell him he's a bad kitty and try to work out what to do.  About a full 2/3rds of the way there from my house is a long brown fence and about twelve feet out from that is a green mesh fence. It's just this wooded corridor that runs along the road.

I reached down and picked James up and decided what to do.  I'd call
my neighbor, she'd come and get him for me.   I call all her numbers and
no answer.

On the door to the surgery is a sign that reads "No animals brought in
under any conditions"
I figure this means me.  What did they see me coming?
So, I stand on the street - now Nursery Lane - as it's called, is a
busy little road.  I debate what to do, I have ten minutes before my
appointment and can't walk back with both boys and cat and still make my appointment.
 I doubt the nurses will watch the boys while I take stupid home.  Suddenly, the question is solved for me when a car runs a bit too close for comfort,
freaking cat out who launches up in the air.  He comes back down on
the ground and looks at me like "what are you trying to get us both
killed?"  I go to pick him up and he jumps up and savages me about the head and shoulders.  
Then, the cat runs off, up nursery lane.
I have blood now, seriously, dripping down my face.  It's in my hair
line, and it's oozing down my face around my eyes.  I walk into the
surgery and the lady thinks I'm there for an emergency.  When I try
and explain that I have a long standing appointment I get the "Okay,
so you're a freak" routine.
I go back to see the doctor who, fantastically, doesn't even ask about the blood and immediately starts seeing to my throat and back.
After I've been seen, I go outside and begin walking home.  I text
Brian who had been keeping up with the story to now, to tell him cat must have run home.
About a block later I hear the tinkling and mewling.  He's standing on
Nursery Lane. You know, right in the middle of the road that has just nearly killed him.
I hesitate to pick him up and tell him he can walk home.

Of course I lose my nerve and pick cat up, having to hold him, one boy's hand and push other boy in the stroller.
About halfway home, another car buzzes us.  There is steady traffic
but this was a big box truck, taking up some of the sidewalk as well
as road.  Cat looks stupidly at me and tries to run under truck.  I
throw Leif around so he won't witness cat squashing.  I'm now cursing
myself for not taking his leash as I usually keep it in my pocket.
Then, he runs into this green corridor I mentioned earlier, as there is a hole in the fence.
I take the boys home and get cat leash.  I lock the boys inside,
figuring it won't take long if cat stays put. With any luck he is frozen in fear.
I run back down, half a mile to hear familiar tinkling.  Suddenly my neighbor drives up having gotten my urgent voice messages from before.  Cat loves Neighbor, he
comes out of brambles when he hears her calling.  She usually has cat
treats, you see.  I slip through hole in the fence and leash the
little bastard.  I ride home with him purring and shaking madly on my
lap.
We get home and he immediately runs in the catbox and fills it to the
brim and then goes and empties the entire cat dish - it was an ordeal
for him obviously.

I told him for any other cat - FOR ANY OTHER CAT - I'd have left the
little sucker.  Now he's laying on my bed sleeping.
 





0 Responses

Post a Comment