Brandiuk
Yesterday was great and maybe I can post about it later. Today, I'm run down and exhausted and I'm feeling very down.

Maybe it was the fire on the ridge (we live in the foothills and this fire was almost too close for comfort). The fire wasn't that big a deal and once again it was just a weird note to the childhood I'm severely out of touch with. I told Brian it's not a fire until it has taken some 16,000 acres with it.
Still, the kids were riled up and they even refused  to look at it. This is part of our fire-safety thing. I've gone over what to do in case of fire so many times that this fire just flew in the face of all of that. What if the fire comes from OUTSIDE the house, Mommee? What then? I explained that you get evacuated and it is not a deal. We have all the various types of house insurance, contents insurance and so forth, so at this point, you grab the irreplaceable, get in the car with your family and mentally let go. That was a tough concept and it really bothered them. They refused to see the fire as it came over the hill. The fire was still a mile or more away but it was enough to bother small children.
From behind our neighbor's house, this was a ways away and they said the flames were around 8ft. Tiny from where we were. I was just surprised to see them from my driveway.

From our driveway before I went to bed, you can almost see our neighbor's house in dark relief.

The fire was out by around mid-night, there were 2 helicopters and a lot of people on the ground. I think the fire ran about 6 hours all together.

So last night, with the smoke wafting towards our house I had a million mini-nightmares. I'd wake up every 5 minutes in a fit of nerves and go back to sleep. I wasn't actually worried.  I think the dreams were a hang-over from smelling the smoke and having to walk the kids through the protocol over and over.
I had some kind of sad but sure faith in the local authorities. I live in a neighborhood, they'd come and get us if there was an issue. I'm also a very leave it in G-d's hands kinda person. There comes a point when there is nothing you can do, so you just let go. I don't fixate on the uncontrollable - though I admit fully to over-fixating on the controllable.
The kids all woke up today telling me they had bad dreams. Fire is very atavistic, I wasn't surprised. There must have been some low lying tension in the house even though Brian was completely un-impressed by the fire and I was admittedly less than worried.
I'd texted my friend saying I'd evacuate to her house. She said the chickens could stay in the garage. We were technically taken care of.

In the meantime, yesterday, we'd had a good day (albeit with one side note - not relating to fire) and by the time we got home I realized I was physically and mentally exhausted. I had too much sun and too much sugar (not good for someone with blood sugar issues) and I fell asleep for a nap to wake to the fire. When Brian started texting me from the park I knew he was serious about seeing flames on the hill, however, I was too tired to care or take much notice of what he was saying. I told him if Fire on the Mountain were his pathetic attempts at song lyrics I was going back to sleep.

I didn't wake up much better today. 4 out of 6 of us are sporting sun burns. My husband teasing me that he thought brown people don't burn. I'm a brown person who stays pretty much religiously out of the sun and I'm half not brown - so I too am susceptible. Though he seems to think my cute little tiny sun burn on my cheeks is hugely amusing - I'm still thoroughly miffed.  I have no idea how people do this sort of thing all over their body - let alone to the point of peeling. Buttercup woke up dreaming the fire had got her, screaming her brains out, and making me put water on her shoulders. I tried to explain sun burns and while she acknowledged she was burned to this moment she thinks it happened in her dreams and just carried over to reality.

So - I will post on the opening day ceremony. I will put pictures up. I will. Just not right this moment.
I'm too bummed about losing an entire weekend to fatigue and moodiness. I need to sleep some more I think and drink some green tea and get the last of the sugar out of my system. Look, it was cotton candy - what was I supposed to do? Oh, and we got free tickets for pizza and I so rarely eat pizza that isn't homemade I confess I ate both crusts. Pizza crust is my arch enemy and that is surely where I got the the aches I have today. That and 6 solid hours of bouncy castles and dunk tanks and sun and cake walks and clowns and sun and bouncy castles and sun and wait, did I mention the sun?
This is probably why I won't go to State Fairs anymore.
0 Responses

Post a Comment